Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11 and the American Education

I asked my two children, one in primary school, the other in middle school, what they had learned at school about 9/11.  Both said that they had a moment of silence and that was all. There was no lesson devoted to it, no discussion or debate. My primary school child, was not even sure what 9/11 was all about.  I was shocked.

Even if it is not part of the formal curriculum (shouldn't it be?), can there be a justification for such educational negligence? How deep can our democratic ignorance go, and still call US a democracy?

1 comment:

Yun Yi said...

That surprises me too. Even though I do not support to use this event to stir so call "patriotism" but it's historical importance should not be overlooked, especially it happened only 10 years ago.